Favorite Place

Snow Apple Tree

 As I thought about this week's challenge from Generations Cafe my mind wandered to the many beautiful sights I've seen in my 82 years. I've traveled in 47 states and a handful of foreign countries. I've seen the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower, Stonehenge, Lake Louise, the North Woods of Wisconsin and the Sonoran Desert, oceans, rivers, bridges.... I could go on. However, in flipping through photos my eyes landed on this picture and my brain was flooded with memories.

I grew up on a 5 acre farmette on Orchard Avenue in Northern Illinois. There were a couple of old apple orchards nearby but on our property there was only this one apple tree...the Snow Apple tree. It's fruit was snowy white inside and deep pink on the outside. It made great applesauce but that's not why I loved it. Look at the tree! So great for climbing. 

My friends and I spent many hours in this tree. This is my Mom and me and the shadow of my Dad.  I always think of the song, Oh Little Playmate" when I think of this tree because I lived that song.


Oh Little Playmate, Come out and  play with me,

And bring your dollies three, climb up my apple tree,

Holler down my rain barrel, slide down my cellar door

And we'll be jolly friends forever more.

There are more favorite spots on this 5 acres. A creek ran through the middle of the property with two small springs of water bubbling up. I spent many afternoons on my tummy watching the water bubble and wondering how that could happen. At another spot I watched weeping willow trees grow from the sprigs my Dad cut from trees along the roadside in Zion. Decades later those trees are now part of a small community park that includes the creek. 

Over the years, after  my Dad died, my Mom parceled off sections of the land and sold it to family members. My Aunt Loretta and Uncle Tom got the plot with the Snow Apple tree...I could still climb it! I was given a half acre of the land that included the willow trees. As a young married woman I did not want to live in "a family compound" so I sold the property to help pay for land in another town. I don't regret that. I still have my fond memories of the special place where I grew up and the Snow Apple Tree.


Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder of the great climbing tree we had in our yard. Your post brought back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very sweet photo, and I can see how it would create such a charming memory. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your coment and memories it brought back. I have a picture of me at about 18 months perched in an apple tree with my Grandma holding on to me. It was in their yard on the farm. I have such wonderful memories of being with them on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your song brought back a lot of memories. My cousin and I used to sing that many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day - Three Grandmas

Week 24 Challenge: Father's Day